Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Camp

Well, week 2 of camp has arrived. Last week I was out in a tent with six 6th grade boys, and while I technically had my phone and had planned on posting that way, the time simply wasn't there. This week, however, I'm "camping" in a house on the property with the chaplain (I'm the music director this week). We've got our own bedrooms, a full bathroom, a kitchen, awesome living room, and WiFi. All in all... "roughing it" this week isn't so bad:-P

Graduation day was awesome. My speech was very well received. Week one of camp was awesome as well... despite some sewer and power issues here at the camp. A really great group of kids... incredible experience as always. So far week two is shaping up to be the same (we still have 3 1/2 more days). Not having a tent this week is giving me more down time, which I'm using to work on my presentations and such for the class I'm teaching next week (talk about a full summer!).

The theme for all of the camps here at Kirkmont this summer is "Handle With Care." We're talking about the importance of living in peace and harmony with the rest of creation, from nature to animals to each other. It's been really fascinating and moving to see the reactions and ideas that some of the kids have in relation to some of these ideas. Last week we talked about "Walking Lightly" on the earth... in other words, creating a smaller footprint with our use (and often abuse) of the resources and gifts god has given us. Very eye-opening. I've always tried to live fairly simply (although I admit that I often falter in the "gear" category), but the things we've been talking about these past couple weeks have reinforced something that I had already been thinking about for some time. I think that we as people (and me in particular) are really wasting creation right now. I'm going to try to think of some ways that I personally can improve my relationship with the rest of God's great world. I might post them here.

Well, back to work... good thing work at camp is nearly always fun!

No comments: